Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Few Top Fives to Reminisce and to Kick Off the New Year

A few top 5 lists (ranking is in no particular order)

Top 5 Good 2007 Things:

1. I got promoted at work
2. We moved to a bigger apartment.
3. WhiskeyFest 2007 w/ Josh
4. 4th Anniversary with Shannon at Absinthe
5. The Halloween Party

Top 5 Bad 2007 Things

1. Work is nuts
2. School
3. Tens of thousands of people dying in Iraq
4. Angels & Airwaves at Not So Silent Night
5. Baseball & Steroids

Top 5 things to look forward to in 2008

1. Electing a new president - We've given Bush 2 chances to get it right and he just continues to sink lower and lower... Huckabee/McCain vs. Clinton/Obama - its throwdown time!
2. Shannon getting promoted.
3. Me getting promoted
4. Finishing school (FINALLY!)
5. The 2008 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Whiskeys

Top 5 Movies of 2007:

1. Once - If you haven't seen it yet, see it and buy the soundtrack.
2. Zodiac - Thriller of the year.
3. Knocked Up - I've been a fan of Aptow since Freaks & Geeks, and his stuff is only getting better.
4. Juno - With Michael Cera being as awkward as ever and phrases like "pork swords" I thought this movie was fantastic.
5. One I haven't seen yet (there are a ton I haven't seen....)

Top Five Funny Movies of 2007:


1. Knocked Up - See Above.
2. Superbad - Another Aptow Project - "McLovin" was great and all but Jonah Hill stole this one for me.
3. Hot Rod - I heard this movie was terrible, whoever said that should be shot. I was dying from laughter through-out this movie. Cool Beans.
4. Hot Fuzz - From the same guys as Shawn of the Dead. So Good.
5. Hairspray - Nothing funnier than big ol' chubby girls jumping around smacking their ass. Plus you just can't beat John Travolta (in drag) and Christopher Walken singing love songs to each other.

Top 5 Disappointing Movies of 2007

1. No Country For Old Men: This seems to be on everyone's top 10 movie lists... I don't get it. I mean it was an ok movie. But from the Coen Brothers, COME ON! That wasn't a Coen Brothers movie and that is what disappointed me.
2. Bourne Ultimatum: Been there, done that. Matt Damon is a bad ass though....
3. Simpsons Movie: Don't get me wrong, upon first viewing of this movie it was fantastic. But subsequent viewings were only good for the highlights (spider-pig, and ummm... thats about it). Last time I watched it I fell asleep fairly quickly...
4. Transformers: Yeah the transformers were cool... but other than that - meh.
5. Tie - Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Caribbeans 3 - I didn't see either of these movies but I have not talked to a single person that has liked them. 3rd time is not a charm.

Top 5 Movies of 2007 I Still Need to See:

1. Walk Hard - Aptow again... gotta be good
2. There Will Be Blood - PTA & Daniel Day-Lewis. Can't beat that.
3. The Kingdom
4. Michael Clayton
5. American Gangster

2 comments:

Sally said...

So, how early did you get up on New Year's day to write all this? And I thought you were out partying-hardy last night!
Good stuff. Not that I agree on all of your movie choices; but what's new there?
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!! (& of course Shannon, too)

Sally said...

Pa here.....

Hangar One....best 10 bucks I've ever spent!!!!

"Once"...I'm not real big on seeing movies over and over and over and (you get the idea)...BUT....this one is worth a bunch of reruns, even if it's just for the sound track. I love it when non-actors steal the show!! Great stuff!!!