Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bad News and Good Times

A few weeks back I went to Kaiser for a cold, and found out that according to the ADA or Goverment Medical group or whoever the hell establishes medical guidelines that I was morbidly obese (based on my BMI) and that my blood pressure is high. Fantastic!

So I'm going into super healthy mode, and try make myself healthier and skinnier. I will let the universe help keep my accountable by posting my weekly weight in my blog, which will keep my at it because I will feel like a loser if I'm posting constant gains.

Blech!

On to other, and definitely better news.... Shannon and I took this weekend as a chance to get away for a while. Around 10am on Saturday we jumped in the car and headed down the PCH - our final destination being San Luis Obispo. The 101 would have been quicker but driving along the coast provides much better scenery. About an hour past Monterey we pulled off to the side of the road and ran around the beach for a while (I was ever so careful not to get sand in my shoes as sand is in my top five hated things).

After wearing our out of shape bodies out, we jumped back in the car and finished the drive to San Luis. We were staying in the Madonna Inn, which is a crazy hotel (check it out at www.madonnainn.com). As you can see from the pictures our room (named Love Birds) was very green.



Woodstock's Pizza was our first stop in our trek to downtown SLO. Afterwards we walked around for a while then headed back to the hotel to hit up the hotel bar, which according to the info in the room, was fantastic. The info was wrong, the bar was filled with old people, didn't have a great selection. Not wanting to wait around for a seat in a 2nd class bar (the only 2nd class thing about the hotel) we walked over to the grocery store and bought some vodka and cranberry juice along with a variety of snacks.

The next morning we went back to SLO to eat breakfast at F. McLintocks, walk around for a while longer and then headed to Pismo Beach. Shannon has always wanted to eat at the Splash Cafe, as I have talked about countless times during the five years I've known her.

Upon arriving and (finally) finding a parking spot, we headed over to get some of the famous clam chowder breadbowls. However, we saw the line wrapping around the building, and while this is a common occurance, neither of us were that hungry and figured the line would be shorter after about an hour. We walked around the shops, walked out on the peer, watched people fish (and not catch a thing) all the time waiting for the line to die down and for our stomachs to start talking to us.




Once our stomachs started, we headed back, but unfortunately the line was still massive but we figured "oh well" and got in the line. Nearly an hour later we had the breadbowls and were able to dig in - and MAN! they were good. Shortly after finishing our late lunch, we jumped back in the car to head home. We had a great time and are looking forward to the next time we can get away for a couple days....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlie said...

sorry. just needed to get on my political soap box and vent about thee conspiracy surrounding 9/11... forgot to sign in and thus the anonymous heading.

hope the diet thing goes well.

Dan said...

the morbidly obese thing is hilarious. the bmi chart is quite comical. in my eyes you are a specimen of chiseled bronze.

as for the madonna inn...mel and i have partaken in its goodness/oddness before:
http://daniel-bowen.blogspot.com/2007/09/cuzo-t-dmadonna-not-singerbaby-belly.html

Charlie said...

WHY WOULD YOU DELETE MY 9/11 RANT???!!!?!?! I BOYCOT YOU!!!