Sunday, December 14, 2008

Taking Back The Crown

Santa Poker, the annual charity poker tournament that SCM puts on, was last night. After winning the tourney two years ago, and going bust first last year, I was ready to retake the crown. There was, of course, formiable opponents: The Gantt duo, The Schwaab duo, a number of people that had definitely improved over the past year, and I can't forget Shannon, who always places deep in the standings with these things... There was also rebuys this year. The initial $20 buy-in went to charity, and the buy-ins made up the prize pool. So people could play super agressive and still be able to buy back in if things didn't go their way.

Well, I made it to the final table with a cast of regulars: Shannon, Lori, Karen, Ron along with a few more. Play at the final table went on for well over an hour, slowly whittling off players, unti it was down to the final 2. Myself and Karen. I had a good chip lead, but after a hand that went her way, I was still up but not by the margin I wanted. We decided to call it a night, and split the prize money with my taking just a bit more. So next year I will be defending the title once again - hopefully things don't go as badly as they did last year!

Getting to the real focus of the night, with the tournament, and the Silent Auction that was part of the festivities for the first time, we were able to raise over $2000 for needy families in the area. It was a very sucessful night!

Today Shannon and I are just taking it easy, watching movies, cleaning the house and wrapping Christmas presents.

No comments: